Skip to main content

GSP meets Algebra 1

I was pleasantly surprised when my ITRT (read: tech person) at school emailed and said she found out we had a lab license for Geometer's Sketchpad (GSP). Last summer I took an online course from KeyPress to learn how to use GSP and more specifically, how it can be used in Algebra classes. I was very excited to learn more about this software and to be given examples of how it can apply to the concepts we teach in Algebra classes.

Earlier in the year, I used GSP to demonstrate adding and subtracting integers. I was using it as a demonstration tool at first, projected on my SMARTBoard. One problem I found using it that way, was that the sketch itself was too small for the students to see, and I ended up having one student sit at my computer and do the manipulating. I tried to make it work, and to let students take turns doing the manipulating, but it just didn't work the way I wanted it to. It was good, however, introducing the basic concept of what I was trying to develop: adding and subtracting integers on the number line. We then took that concept/idea and went back to paper and pencil methods.

This time, I took the students to the lab. We are solving equations, starting with the basics and moving forward to multi-step. I started the unit asking them to find the missing number in some simple equations, to see what methods they intuitively used. Next, we talked about working backwards, doing the opposite of what is currently being done to the variable, in order to get the variable alone. Finally, I wanted them to be able to explore the balance method of solving equations. I found a sketch with a balance, using positive and negatives. Gave the students a guided worksheet to explore what happens when you do different things to the balance. Was looking for the students to discover some properties about balancing equations (i.e. adding/subtracting the same number from both sides keeps the equation balanced, a positive and negative "cancel" each other, whatever you do to one side you must do to the other).

The students (as could be expected) struggled with the software. It was the first time they used it and the sketch had too many other things they could explore. They were curious and excited to play with it. I was able to ask some higher level questions, and the students responded well because they could support their ideas with the sketch. Their reading level caused them to struggle, even with the simple worksheet I created. I spent a lot of time going from student to student explaining what to do next.

Hopefully I'll be able to use this program again with this class, because I think they will be more comfortable with it and it'll probably be more successful the more they use it. Just thought I'd share my experience. Any suggestions are welcome.

**Note: I can't figure out how to upload the GSP files, so if you want a copy, leave a comment or email me**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASL/English Vocabulary in the Math Classroom

My last semester in college, while I was student teaching, I had a class that emphasized different key topics in the field of Deaf Education.  One such topic was vocabulary development.  We all already knew that students who are deaf/hard of hearing have a lower vocabulary than their same-age hearing peers for a variety of reasons not least of which being their limited access to "incidental learning" that comes from listening to other people's conversations/tv/radio, etc.  In our class, we talked about ways to introduce new vocabulary in order to give students a more connected understanding of the new word in its five distinct forms. Picture Description/definition ASL sign (if applicable) English word (in print) Fingerspelling of English word I try to be conscious of this as I teach.  It's very difficult sometimes, and many of the math terms to not have standard ASL signs, so it is more difficult for the students to attach meaning and use the new term through fi

Professional Goals

On my way to an evaluation team meeting today (I want to write more about that...but don't feel I can confidentially...one bad thing about being myself online and not having a blog pseudonym), I had a bit of a heart to heart with my boss (principal). You might think, "on the way" isn't very long...but picture 100+ outdoor stairs from the school building to the admin building where the meeting was being held...lol. Anyway, he was asking me how things were going, if I could believe that the year is already almost halfway over, and how time has flown in the 1.5ish years I've been in VA. He also mentioned that I have 30 more years to go before retiring. After that comment, he asked about my professional goals: When you're getting ready to retire, what do you hope to have accomplished/done? At first, I didn't know how to respond. I'm not much for long-term planning. I'm lucky to know and have decided that I indeed will be staying in VA for at leas

Reflections and Preparation: A Look Into the Socio-Emotional Learning Goals of a Teacher

* taps mic * Is this on?  I haven't been here in years , but there is so much that I have been reading, thinking about, and planning in the past few days.  I needed to get some of it out.  Maybe this will forever live in drafts, or maybe, just maybe, I'll be brave and #pushsend. I crawled out from under a rock and started using TweetDeck on my computer last week.  For years I have missed the #MTBoS community, but have felt that it was too overwhelming to keep up with on top of all the typical day to day activities.  Also, I joined Twitter back when I was one of two math teachers at my school.  That community was my lifeline during my first 3 years of teaching.  Now, I have a workroom filled with teachers in real life with whom I can and should collaborate.  The richness and depth of these workroom discussions are not usually the same as what I found online, but it is still critical to support and develop these relationships. Now comes to the real point of this post: Reflect